To locate a person, use ctrl & F for any part of the person's name
As an alternate, click on the letter below to reach persons whose surnames begin with that letter.

A B C D E   F G I    J K  M
N O P Q R   S T U V   W X Y Z

A

 

Brother Abelus (1876 - 1970) was a Canadian brother who came to the United States as a laborer Brother.  He spent over twenty years as a carpenter, including construction of the main additions to the MacPherson house.  He transferred to gardening in the early 1940s and handled the non-animal parts of agriculture on the campus, particularly the greenhouse along the Water Works Road and the fields in front of St. Peters, and on land now occupied by the Donnelley Building and Seat of Wisdom Chapel.  A quiet man, he was the source of personal knowledge of many early events. He lived with the teaching Brothers at St. Peters.  With the disappearance of the infirmary function in Poughkeepsie, he transferred to the Novitiate in Tyngsboro MA. He is buried in the Brothers' cemetery in Esopus, NY.

Brother Paul Acyndinus (1882  - 1971 ) was a skilled laborer during the first four decades of Marist Brothers' activity on the campus.  Brother Nilus Donnelly attributes the while concrete wall along Delafield St and Route Nine to him, as well as the wall surrounding the Poughkeepsie cemetery, the stations of the cross in the woods now a path to the Sheahan and Leo Dormitories, and the quartz grotto in the small circle opposite the entrance to Tenney Stadium. Brother Paul was also a key helper to Brother Leo in wiring the property for electricity and installing an intra campus telephone system.

Brother Adrian August (1898  - 1960) After completing term as Director of Saint Agnes High School in New York City, Brother Adrian was appointed to the faculty of Marian College.  He taught chemistry, but also led the student brothers choir and was the organist.  A rectangular building west of Donnelly was designed as a student center for the first lay students as well as a visitors room for families of the student brothers.  The room was named for Brother Adrian.  Most of those who were present in the 1950s and 1960s remember the Adrian Building as the residence and office of Brother Nilus Donnelly.  Later Adrian saw use as the first computer center, the admissions office, the registrar's office and the business office. 

Brother Altin (1874 - 1944)  was a Canadian Brother who came to the United States to work as a carpenter for several decades.  He worked on the additions to the MacPherson house, the bungalows occupying what is now the mall between Donnelly and Champagnat, and many other projects.

B

Stephen Baker (  -  ) 

Frederick Barnard (1780 - 1866) born in Nantucket RI, became captain of whaling ships, retired to Poughkeepsie with his family.  Purchased Barnard section of MaristLand.  Remained active in whaling with the local industries. Died in Poughkeepsie.  Buried in Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery.

David Ely Bartlett (1806 - 1879) and his wife Fanny Pomeroy operated a school for deaf mutes 1852 to 1860 on what was to become the Bech residence at the south end of the Bech parcel. He had taught at American Asylum for the Deaf in Hartford CT. He believed that deaf mutes ought to be trained at a much earlier age, including music.  The house included the Bartlett wife and children.  When not enough pupils subscribed to the school, Bartlett returned to the American Asylum for the next nineteen years until his death.  David Bartlett continues to be recognized for his innovative ideas and superb work in educating the deaf. 

Edwin Bech (1810 - 1873) born in Denmark, emigrated the United States, became Danish Consul in New York City, engaged in the iron business, moved to Poughkeepsie with his family, lived along Market Street, then purchased Bech section of Maristland, died of consumption, buried in Bech mausoleum in Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery.

Edward Michael Hossack Bech (1851 - 1862) was the child of Edwin and Elizabeth Bech.  After his death, his father commissioned Detlef Lienau, a Danish architect living in New Jersey to design a mausoleum for Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery which became the repository of several of the Bech family.

Elizabeth McCarty Bech (1812 - 1900 )  was born Charlotte Elizabeth McCarty Hossack, (McCarty was probably her mother's maiden name), but she used Elizabeth McCarthy Bech on her official documents, such as passports, visas, and deeds..  She married  Rudolph Braem (1801 - 1838), and the couple had two children. Henri Monod Braem (1836 - 1900) and Frederick August Braem (1837 - 1857).  After her husband died she married Edwin Bech.  She continued to live on the Bech estate until her death in 1900.  She was buried from Holy Comforter Church in the Bech mausoleum in Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery. 

George A  Bech (1856  - 1890) son of Edwin and Elizabeth Bech.  Lived with his mother and took her with him and his wife to the Washington DC area during the winter months. He was the owner of several steam yachts, and purchased the land east of route 9 which became Fairview, parts of which are now owned by Marist  College. He also owned a farm in Stockbridge, MA.  He was buried from Holy Comforter Church in the Bech mausoleum in Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery.

Joseph & Carmen Bennett (   -   ) purchased the the caretaker's cottage on the Fern Tor (Newbold) estate from charles Chlanda 1946 and lived there for nine years, selling it in 1955 to James Hawkins.

Brother Joseph J R Belanger (1925 - 2010)  was a long time professor at Marist College who researched the histories of the Brothers associated with the early years in Poughkeepsie.  He also wrote of the Riordan School in Highland NY, which the Brothers had considered before purchase of the Esopus Property.  He also translated from French into English the Annals of the Poughkeepsie Property kept by several unknown scribes between 1915 and 1934.

Brother Francis Xavier Benoit ( 1895  -  1964) taught history, psychology and mathematics at Marist Training School and Marian College until 1959.  He was the construction manager for the Marian Gym (now the Marian Dormitory between Champagnat and Donnelly buildings.) In 1950, he took a leave of absence from Marian in 1950 to direct construction of the renovations to the English Village section of the Brothers' Esopus property.   The Benoit Dormitory was names in his honor. The dormitory was constructed for the Student Brothers but used by lay students until it was demolished to make place for the Hancock Building.

Brother George Francis Byrne (1905  - 1953) grew up in Newburgh NY and lived there until he entered the Marist Brothers.  He returned to Marian College in 1949 and taught history and economics until his death in 1953.  The residence constructed for the priest chaplains (first Dominican, then Marist) and now used for campus ministry is named in his honor.

Mary Corning Winslow Black (1892  - 1981) was the daughter of John Flack Winslow and Harriet Wickes Winslow.  After her marriage,  the couple moved first to Michigan and later to Monterey CA, where in 1930 she designed a noted house.  After her mother's death in 1926, Mary donated the cannon from the Monitor which occupies a prominent space in front of the Adriance Library in Poughkeepsie NY

Andrew Boardman (abt 1824  -   ) was a lawyer who practiced in New York City.  A widower, he married  the widow Cordelia Yvelin.  The couple lived in New York City, but used a summer residence close to Vassar College and Boardman Road.  After his death Cordelia married Thomas Macpherson.  The couple lived on Cliffside, the Boardman summer home in Poughkeepsie until they purchased the section of the Barnard property just north of the water works road.  Cliffside was later sold to the Kenyon family, who in turn sold it to IBM for research laboratories.

Henri Monod Braem (1836 - 1900). son of Rudolph and Elizabeth Braem and half-brother of George A Bech was connected with her during the last decades of her life. Henri had a townhouse on East 36th Street in New York City, as well as a country home in Lenox,  MA.  He worked with Edwin Bech and continued with the firm after Edwin's death.

Brother Kieran Thomas Brennan (1918  - 1989 ) graduated from Marist Training School, Fordham University and received a masters degree in English from Columbia University.  While teaching at Cardinal Hayes HS in New York City, he commuted weekends to teach Shakespeare to the student brothers.  He was appointed assistant master of Scholastics and moved to Poughkeepsie.  When Brother Paul Ambrose Fontaine was named Assistant General, Brother Kieran became Master of Scholastics.  He was elected Provincial and de facto a Trustee of Marist and last Marist Brother Chairman of the Board.  As Provincial he directed the final transfer of land in Poughkeepsie from the Marist Brothers Corporation to the Marist College Educational Corporation.

return to ===> top of page
or to exit directory press left arrow at upper left or screen

C

Gilbert Smith Coddington (1834   - 1900)  in 1897 purchased the lower section of the Barnard property just north of the water works road from Cordelia Yvelin who acted as administrator of the Yvelin estate.  On his death in 1900 the estate held the property until its purchase by Brother Louis Zephiriny in 1905.

Anthony Costanzi (1913 - 1992), brother of Vincent Costanzi, operated a construction business in Kingston NY.  the company  continues in business as of 2013, specializing in construction using heavy duty cranes.  Costanzi cranes were used to position the prefabricated elements for the route 9 underpass in 2011. When his brother Vincent encountered financial difficulties, Anthony purchased the river half of the former Winslow property in 1977, selling it in 1984 to Marist College.  It is the location of the Gartland housing and the Gartland athletic fields.

Vincent Costanzi (  -  ) was a member of the Costanzi family who lived on North Bridge Street, near the Reillys.  After World War II, Vincent purchased a large amount of surplus construction equipment from the U S Government and in 1948 purchased the 27 acre Winslow estate property just north of the Marist Brothers' properties.  He often lent his equipment for Brothers' needs; in turn the Brothers helped him out by granting rights to a sand bed on their property along Route  301 in Coldspring NY as he rebuilt route 301 from Route 9 to the Taconic Parkway.  Vincent sold parcels adjoining route 9 to Herbert Redl and Frank Eberhard.  Later these all came into possession of Marist College.

Charles Chlanda (1907  - 1976)

Julia Appleton Newbold Cross (1891 - 1972)

Elizabeth Maria (nee van Schoonhoven) Crosby (   -   ) was the daughter of James van Schoonhoven, a prominent bank from Troy NY, who purchased the upper half of the original Barnard parcel in 1855.  She and her husband lived there soon after, and after her husband's death, she sold the parcel to John Flack Winslow in 1967.  Given the prominence of Winslow and Schoonhoven in Troy, it  likely that the men know each other. 

Walter Cunningham (   -   )  was a  prominent member of the Improvement Party, a group of Poughkeepsie residents who worked for the benefit of the City and Town (Matthew Vassar was the unofficial leader of the Party.)  In 1837 he purchased the Barnard parcel and sold some parcels along Cannon Street which became the Barnard residence.  Cunningham then sold the northern and southern Barnard parcels to others.

D

Brother Nilus Vincent Donnelly (1911 - 1990)

Brother Louis Omer Duprez (1897-1977) was the provincial of the United States province when the decision was made to locate a bachelors degree college for the training of young Marist Brothers.  In 1943, Brother Louis chose Brother Paul Ambrose Fontaine as Master of Schoolastics, giving him the mandate to develop Marist Training School into Marian College and later Marist College.  After his term as Provincial ended, he taught at Cardinal Hayes High School in the Bronx and then spent over a decade as a missionar in the Phillippines.

Arthur C Dutton(  -  )

Tempa Dyruff (  -  )

E

Harvey G Eastman(1832 - 1878)

Frank Eberhard (1923 - 1979)

F

Henry Fishbach (  -  ) purchased the caretaker's cottage on the Fern Tor (Newbold) estate from James Hawkins in 1963 and lived there until 1990, when he sold it to Marist College.

Brother Paul Ambrose Fontaine (1913   - 2003)

Linus Richard Daniel Foy (1929 -  ) graduated from Marian College in 1950 as the first summa cum laude graduate, taught summers at Marian in 1954, 1955, 1956, and was named President in 1958.  During his tenure as President, he increased the size of the student body from 110 to 2000.  In 1979 he left the college to become chief administrator of Boyden World Corporation, a global executive search firm until his retirement at the end of 1999.  Remains an honorary trustee of Marist College, and has researched the former owners of Marist College properties and also of the Esopus estate of Oliver Hazard Payne, including sections now occupied by the Marist Brothers and the Raymond Rich Institute of Marist College.

G

John J Gartland Jr (1914 - 2003)

David Gindra (1832 - 1908)

Brother Henry Charles Gregoire (1892 - 1989) was born in the United States but was sent to Canada with the first group of candidates for his training years to become a Marist Brother, then returned to the United States.  He served as a Provincial Councillor and two terms as Provincial. He was then appointed as Master of Novices, serving there in the former Bech residence for over a decade.  He was known for his good judgement, and acted as official and unofficial advisor to many of the Brothers more easily associated with the development of Marian/Marist College.

Brother Mary Andrew Gregoire (1892 - 1982) was Brother Henry Charles' blood brother, and trained like him in Canada, but returned to the United States.  He served for many years as the Provincial Treasurer, and acted as unofficial financial guide and advisor to Brothers Nilus and Paul Ambrose and Richard Foy none of whom had extensive experience with banks or other financial institutions.

H

Sophie Harris (  -  )

Dr. Paul Hasbrouck ( - )

James Hawkins (  -  ) purchased the caretaker's cottage on the Fern Tor (Newbold) estate from Joseph and Carmine Bennett in 1955 and lived there until 1963, when he sold it to Henry Fishbach.

Margaret Hossack (  -  ) was the mother of Elizabeth McCarty Bech.  She is buried in the Bech mausoleum in Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery.  Documents in the Bech file of the Marist Archives indicate that her body was transferred from a Catholic Cemetery in New York City.

return to ===> top of page
or to exit directory press left arrow at upper left or screen

I

J

Edith Newbold Jones (1862  - 1937) was the daughter of George Frederic Jones (1821 - 1882) and Lucretia Stevens Rhinelander(1824 - 1901). Edith was the granddaughter of Major General Horatio Ebenezer Stevens.  Her family lived in what is now called the Chelsea District of New York City.  She was baptized at Grace Church, at Tenth St and Broadway, considered the society church.  Her godparents were her aunt and uncle  Thomas Haines and Mary Rhinelander Newbold, who purchased the Fern Tor section of the Marist College property in 1861.

George Frederic Jones (1821 - 1882)  was the father of Edith Newbold Jones, better known in the literary world as Edith Wharton.

Lucretia Stevens Rhinelander Jones (1824 - 1901) was the mother of Edith Newbold Jones, better known in the literary world as Edith Wharton.  In the last few years of the nineteenth century, Lucretia moved to France to be near her two sons.  She developed a come which lasted one or two years until her death.

K

Daniel Kirk (   -   )

William Kuffner (1947 -  ) graduated from Marist College in 1968.  As his senior thesis in American History he wrote on John Flack Winslow, having been pointed there by Brother Edward Cashin, Academic Vice President, and helped by John Gerard White,  professor of history and Arthur Butts, an evening division student and banker who graduated from Marist in 1964.  Kuffner's thesis was the starting point for research on Winslow and the Winslow property. The thesis was published in 2012 in the prestigious periodical:  The Hudson River Valley Review, a Journal of Regional Studies.

L

Brother Leo (Legontianus) Brouillette (1882 - 1962)

Detlef Lienau (1818 - 1887) was a Danish architect who studied architecture in both Germany and France.  He came to the United States where his first commission was a house in Jersey City for his brother Michael Lienau.  Michael was a wine importer (as was Edward Bech) who introduced Bech to Detlef.  He designed several buildings (gatehouse, gardener's cottage, stable) for the planned estate Rosenlund in Poughkeepsie, as well as the Bech mausoleum in Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery.  They are on the National Historic Register and commonly called the gatehouse, St. Petert's, and Greystone.   After Bech died in 1973, Lienau showed preliminary sketches of the main house of Rosenlund to Elizabeth Bech, but the building was never implemented. 
       Detlef Lienau was one of 29 founders of the American Institute of Architects.  He is credited with introducing the Mansard type roof to America with his use in the Schiff House in New York City.  Google his name to see an excellent short account of his life on the internet.

M

Cordelis Yvelin Boardman MacPherson(abt 1843  - 1893)

Thomas MacPherson (abt 1856 - 1908)

Brother Joseph Gregory Marchessault ( 1930 - 1969)  graduated from Marian College in 1955 and received his PhD in physics from Catholic University in Washington DC.  He returned to Marist College to teach physics in 1964 until his early death from cancer in 1969.  At the time of his death, the Gregory House dormitory was named in his honor.  The dormitory was used for student brothers' residence, for a Marist Brothers faculty fesidence for  one or two years and then became a regular student residence until it was demolished to make room for the Hancock Building.t

John Marian(  -  )

Elijah Martin (    -   )

William Martin (  -  )

Brother Edward Michael (1905 - 1992)  was the crew boss for the Brothers who volunteered to work on Brother Ninus Donnelly's projects.  He was affectionately known as p'tit Mike or little Mike by the crew members because of his short stature.  Brother Nilus and Edward Michael began their summer partnership when they were constructing the gymnasium for Central Catholic Hish School in Lawrence MA. The team continued at Marist College from the construction of Seat of Wisdom Chapel in 1952 to the completion of Donnelly Hall in 1965.

Gerald Morgan (1883 - 1936)

Mary Edith Newbold Morgan(1883  - 1969)

Henry Duane Myers (1816-1887)

return to ===> top of page
or to exit directory press left arrow at upper left or screen

N

Catherine Augusta Newbold (1847 - 1921)

Edith Newbold (1856 - 1934)

Frederic Rhinelander Newbold (1853 -1931)

Mary Elizabeth Rhinelander Newbold(1826 - 1897)

Thomas Newbold (1849 - 1929)

Thomas Haines Newbold(1814 - 1869)

Thomas Jefferson Newbold (1886 - 1936)

O

P

Jacobus Palmatier

Oliver Hazard Payne (1839   - 1917  )

Fred Ponty (  -  )

Brother Ptolemeus (1864  - 1940)

Q

R

Mary Reilly(1918  - 2010 ) and William Reilly (1911  - 1997 )

Mary Rhinelander Newbold (   -   )

Raymond Rich (1912  - 2009 )

Father Joseph Haven Richards, SJ, was rector of Saint Andrews on the Hudson and encouraged the Marist Brothers to purchase the Coddington and Bech properties.  He also arranged that the Jesuit Fathers would provide chaplain service to the Brothers and also the Sisters of Saint Francis after the St. Francis Hospital was founded in 1914.

Henry C Richards(  -  )

S

Monsignor Joseph F Sheehan (1861- 1934) was the pastor of Saint Peter's RC Church in Poughkeepsie, NY. He was instrumental in attracting the Marist Brothers to purchase the Coddington and Bech properties which became the core of Marist College operations.  He was a strong promoter of construction of the Poughkeepsie-Highland vehicle bridge which opened in 1930.  The Sheahan Dormitory was named in honor of Msgr. Sheahan

Francis Cardinal Spellman (1889   - 1967) headed the archdiocese of New York from 1939 until his death.  He encouraged religious orders who operated colleges and universities to finance themselves independently, indicating that archdiocesan financial resources would concentrate on elementary and secondary schools.  He also strongly urged the Marist Brothers to abandon their housing in old frame buildings.  During the 1950s and 1960s the Brothers build Our Lady Seat of Wisdom Chapel, the Student Brothers Study Hall and Dining Room, the Student Brothers Dormitory.  Cardinal Spellman officiated at the dedication of the Chapel and Dormitory facilities, and presided over the blessing of the land which would become the Donnelly building in anticipation of admitting lay students to Marian College.

return to ===> top of page
or to exit directory press left arrow at upper left or screen

T

Albert Edward Tower ( - )

Albert Edward Tower ( - )  son of Albert Edward Tower, with his brother Joseph Tower took over the foundry established by Bech and later purchased by Albert Tower their father.  Albert was a significant donor to Vassar Brothers Hospital, with a building given his name.

Joseph Tower ( - ) another son of Albert Edward Tower,  managed the foundry buisiness until it was no longer profitable in the early 1900s.  he also donated significantly to Vassar Brothers Hospital. 

Rita Hunt Traulsen( 1921  - 2011)  was a professional model who was introduced to Brother Nilus Donnelly by an acquaintance  who had been a photographer and lived in Haiti at the time Nilus vacationed on that island in the early 1950s.  When Nilus mentioned the difficulty of decorating the clerstory windows of the Seat of Wisdom Chapel, Rita's father suggested she pose for each window to ilustrate the scriptural quotations which referenced Our Lady.  She also posed for a large photo of the Ascenscion, in which Brothers who had worked on construction of the chapel posed as the Apostles.

The medium was similar to the Kodachromes displayed for years in Grand Central Station in New York City. The pictures faded in a few years, and were replaced by abstract designs.

 

U

V

Abraham Van Anden

James Van Schooonhoven (1781  - 1864)

Theodore Vanikiotos (   -   ) belongs to a family which operates several upscale diners, notably the Palace Diner on Washington Avenue, but also Table Talk on South road, a new diner near the intersection of Interstate 84 and Route 9, and a diner along route 55 near the Taconic Parkway.

In 1995 Vanikiotos purchased a four acre parcel from the Newbold property which housed the gardener's cottage and also reminats of a windmill used to lift water to irrigate flowers and shrubs on the livel of Route  9.  It is rumored that he thought of placing a diner on the site, but the topography makes adequate parking unworkable.  Currently he rents the building to Marist College students.

Brother Leonard Voegtle ( 1935 - 2001 ) graduated magna cum laude from Marian College in 1954, then earned masters degrees in history and a doctorate in Canon Law from Catholic University of Washington DC.  He served for many years with the general administration in Rome as the representative to the Vatican.  Returning to the United States, he served as Provincial of the Esopus Province.  His important connection to the MaristLand project is through his history of the Brothers in Canada and the United States.  He produced a first volume Go to the Land I will Show You I(see reference4s section) and just before his death by cancer was working on a second volume detailing the work of the Brothers in the United States

W

Dr. George T  C Way (1917 - 2009) was a prominent physician and obstetrician who practiced in Poughkeepsie.  His first marriage ended in divorce.  He then married Margaret Way about the time he purchased a major section of the Newbold (Fern Tor) property.  After his wife Margaret died in 1983, he remarried Dee Stewart and they also lived on Fern Tor until George retired and the couple moved to Stuart, Fl.  Dee Stewart Way was involved in the negotiations for Marist College to purchase the Way property in 1997.

Margaret Way  (1940 - 1983)  was a nurse who became George Way's second wife.  Richard Foy's wife was also a nurse, born in 1938. The wives got along well, and the couple socialized often, with the Foys dining at the Way (former Fern Tor carriage house) on several occasions.   

Edith Wharton (1860  - 1937), American author who won first Pulitzer prize for literature for her novel The Age of Innocence.  She was the niece and godchild of Thomas Haines and Mary Rhinelander Newbold. (See alternate listing under Edith Newbold Jones

Harriett Wickes Winslow (1837  - 1926) was the oldest child of the pastor of the Presbyhterian Church in Poughkeepsie.  She met and married John Flack Winslow whose first wife died in 1861.  The couple had one natural child, Mary Corning Winslow Black, and adopted Thomas Scudder, a nephew of Harriett.

James Winslow (  -  ), brother of John Flack Winslow, engaged in the banking business in New York City, but purchased an estate in Poughkeepsie opposite the Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery.

John Flack Winslow (1810 - 1892) born in Bennington Vt, became active in the iron industry in Albany and Troy NY with Erastus Corning, organized construction of the steel plated ship Monitor during the Civil War, retired to Poughkeepsie, organized the Poughkeepsie & Eastern RR, instrumental in construction of Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge.  Died in Poughkeepsie 1892, buried in Albany Rural Cemetery.

Thomas Scudder Winslow (1883  - 1936 ) was the son of Harriet Wickes Winslow's sister.  When Thomas's parents died, he was adopted by John and Harriet Winslow, and added the name Winslow.  His sister lived with the Winslows, but retained the Scudder name.  Thomas became a physician and practiced in Newburgh, NY,.

X

Brother Francis Xavier Benoit (see listing under the letter B)

Y

Z

Brother Louis Zephiriny (1860   - 1927 ) was born in Lyons France with the family name Fran├žois Adophe Louis Brochier.  He entered the Marist Brothers, serving  one year after the novitiate as a cook. He then worked as an assistant teacher until 1888, during which time he acquired the brevet which autorized him to teach any of the elementary grades in France.  His superiors recognized his ability and sent him to England for a year to learn English.  Then he relocated to New York City, where he founded St. Ann's Academy. 

Zephiriny was the key Brother in purchase of the two estates in Poughkeepsie which make up the Bech and lower Barnard area.

return to ===> top of page
or to exit directory press left arrow at upper left or screen