This section reserved for parcels owned or operated by Marist College away from the main campus. Several of the items relate to housing for student Marist Brothers. Visit here to see a history of brothers' housing; visit here to see an overview of lay student housing. Several sites depict the presence of the Marist Brothers or faculty or students in the mid-Hudson area.

Click on the underlined word(s) to go directly to that space:

Shamrock Field - parcel straddling Washington & Delafield

2 Eden Terrace - faculty Brothers' housing

165 Academy Street - president Murray home

110 Academy Street - student Brothers housing

St Joseph Convent - student Brothers housing

Talmadge Court - student housing.

Canterbury Garden Apartments - student housing

12 Dwight Street - president Foy home

Leonidoff home - 80 South Hamilton Street

Leonidoff gift of land in Fairview

Edward Mack donation in Lagrangeville

Marist East - Western Publishing Building

Fishkill Extension Center

Goshen Extension Center

Marist Hall - Cold Spring NY

Dover Plains - Vista outreach center

Hyde Park - Vista outreach center

Ulster County - Vista outreach center

Camp Sunset, Plattekill, Ulster County

Dominican Camp, Hyde Park, Dutchess County

Our Lady of Lourdes High School (former)

Our Lady of Lourdes Brothers' residences (former)

Saint Peter's School - downtown Poughkeepsie

Holy Trinity Elementary School - Arlington

Cuneen-Hackett Arts Center

 

Shamrock Field

avbilities first signShamrock Field was an 8 acre parcel between Delafield Street and Washington Street given to the College in 1960 by the Church of Saint Peter when the church moved from its Poughkeepsie location to Hyde Park (1960 liber 1030 page 458). The parcel consisted of two levels, one even with Washington Street, the other even with Delafield Street.

The acreage bordering on Delafield Street had room for a small softball field. Parking was difficult as it had to be along Delafield. The field itself was about twelve feet higher than the roadbed, and there was no access for vehicles. The space along North Road (Washington Street) was larger but not well developed and difficult for construction.

At first we thought of using the area for student dormitories. As the north-south arterial highway neared completion in 1963, we judged it not advisable to ask students to cross busy streets to reach the main campus, and the idea of student housing was placed on hold.

abiliti3es buildingAround 1966, Jerry Resnick, the director of Rehabilitation Programs Inc. approached Linus Foy to inquire about the availability for a site for his programs. After consulting with Daniel Kirk, head of the psychology academic field, Foy was convinced that the Rehabilitation Programs unit would be an excellent source for internships for the students in the psychology - and perhaps the biology - programs.

mental health centerAs negotiations progressed Dutchess County stepped in and became the principal backer of the project, which was enlarged to encompass mental health programs, but also to include the Rehabilitation Programs (now called Abilities First). The college agreed to donate 5.6 acres of Shamrock Field adjoining the North Road to the County. The deed was signed in 1957 (18 July 1967, liber 1268, page 230 of the county records).

heart centerThe college retained the portion of Shamrock Field along Delafield Street. Around 1979 Foy was approached by representatives of Saint Francis Hospital and Vassar Hospital (Foy and Jack McEnroe (Marist Board Chairman) were trustees of Vassar, and Jack Gartland Jr a trustee of Saint Francis) with the idea of using the space for a computer system servicing both institutions and possibly others in the Dutchess and Ulster counties.

heart center-side viewNegotiations continued during 1979 and the land was deeded to the Hospital Shared Services Inc entity in late 1979 or early 1980. The venture did not last long. I don't know when the building was erected. The parcel is now owned by a third party that rents space to the Heart Center and the Saint Francis auditory and communications center.

communications centerThe main entrance to the building is occupied by the Heart Center. At the far end of the building another entrance leads to the Communication and Balance Disorders facility

 

return to ===> off-campus parcel list       opening page   

Health Club entranceThe property just north of Shamrock Field is now occupied by Mike Arteaga Health & Fitness Center. It sits directly across the south entrance/exit of the main Marist College campus, and has a long history connected to the college. Mike Arteaga is a 1970 graduate of Marist College. Shortly after graduating, Mike teamed up with William Austin, who had been a physical education teacher at Marist and coach of the crew team. Mike was captain of the crew during his senior year. A third partner was Herbert Redl, a local businessman who provided the capital to get them started. They were helped by Mary Murphy, wife of Donald Murphy of class of 1964. The group began several health units under the name of Allsport.

At present there is no legal connection between Marist College and Mike Arteaga's Health & Fitness Center. But there is a link in a curious way. I was able to trace the deeds back to 1865. The property changed hands several times until it was sold in 1904 by Alfred Frost to Eleanor A Sheckelford. She sold it to St Faith's Academy, an Albany school where her father was the headmaster.

drivewayIn some of the deeds the Shamrock Field neighbor to the north was given the right of ingress and egress across the shamrock field territory. Visitors to Arteaga enter by one small road, but exit down a ramp which leads to the Mental Health Center, and traverse a road through the Mental Health Center leading to Washington Avenue.

health & Fitness from route nineArteaga Health & Fitness Center attracts a clientele which includes many administrators and faculty and alumni from Marist College, despite the presence of a health and fitness center in the McCann Center. This includes the present President (Dennis Murray) and the former president (Linus Richard Foy).

return to ===> list of off campus parcels      opening page      

eden terrace front viewIn the late 1960s the trend was for large religious institutions to break down into more livable units. Several Brothers on the Marist College faculty looked in the city of Poughkeepsie for a facility which would house six to eight Brothers, all faculty or administration. They identified a house at 2 Eden Terrace which was part of a development along Livingston Street extending from Academy Street to South Hamilton Street. The parcel had been pieced together by Daniel W Wilbur and Mary Wilbur and was intended for living for the wealthier citizens of Poughkeepsie. (In the previous century, Academy and South Hamilton Streets had been the prestige locations for upper class housing.) The Wilbur tract was divided into three sections separate from each other by entrances along Livingston Street. Eden Terrace was the first cul-de-sac east of Academy Street. The houses were unusually large; as time went by the wealthy sought housing in more suburban areas outside the city and town of Poughkeepsie and the market for these houses fell. The owners of 2 Eden Terrace were: (1926) Otis A Allen & wife M Allen; (1934) Herbert Buckley; (1938) Herman E & Jean Johnson (of Johnson Plumbing Co, then located at the lower end of Main Street); (1956) Henry and Elizabeth Kowal.

eden terrace side viewIn 1969, the Kowals sold the parcel to the Marist Brothers, who lacked the capital to purchase the property outright. Marist College agreed to sponsor a mortgage for $36,000 from the Poughkeepsie Savings Bank using 2 Eden Terrace as collateral. The College became the owner of the property, but executed a side agreement with the Marist Brothers which provided for transfer of the parcel to the Brothers after the mortgage was released. During this time the Brothers were responsible for expenses related to the property as well as satisfaction of the mortgage. The transfer of ownership occurred June 1973.

The Brothers occupied the parcel until about 1984, in which year the Brothers sold the property to Anthony and Ruth Cenera. Anthony had been hired as an executive reporting directly to President Dennis Murray. In 1988 Cenera took the position of President of Sacred Heart University in Bridgeport CT. He sold the property at Eden Terrace to Marist College in 1988 (liber 1807 page 374). The college then sold the parcel to Paul and Sarah Browne. Paul had been hired as vice president for Advancement. The Browns family occupied the building until Paul took a position as assistant to the Commissioner of Police in New York City in 1993.

The property remains owned by Marist College. Currently is is occupied by several Marist Brothers, some of whom are students at Marist.

165 Academy Street / President's Home

president's home Tucked behind 2 Eden Terrace with a driveway entrance from Eden Terrace but street address of 165 Academy Street is the home of the President Dennis and his wife Marilyn Murray.

Unlike 2 Eden Terrace, 165 Academy Street was owned between 1926 and 1980 by the Peelor family. Originally lot #31 of the development plan, it was augmented by lot # 30 in 1940. Although there is a stairway to Academy Street, normal and vehicle access is via a driveway adjacent to 2 Eden Terrace. The location allows for greater privacy than some of the other site in the Garden Park Development.

 

110 Academy Street at corner of Barclay Street

barclay_academyThe late 1960s experienced several experiments in small group living for candidates to religious orders, including the Marist Brothers. One such experiment was small group living on a house along Academy Street at the corner of Barclay Street. I was able to track previous owners back in time to 1865, when J Spenser Van Cleef pieced together two parcels (liber 131 page 72 and liber 134 page 325).

academy_barclayIn 1906 the Van Cleefs sold the parcel to Ellen S Jones. It remained in the Jones family until 1926, then passed through some other owners until Marist College purchased the property in 1966 (liber 1210 page 871). The agreement was that Marist College student brothers would live in the house with a Brother teaching at the College as housemaster. The experiment lasted about two years, but terminated when smaller size housing for Student Brothers, (Benoit and Gregory Houses) were occupied in 1968 and 1969).

The college sold the house to Donald Price in 1969. (liber 1273 page 70)

St. Joseph's Convent, Lafayette St. Poughkeepsie NY

conventst jopseph churchJ David Kammer was the housemaster for several student brothers who studied at Marist College in the late 1960s and/or early 1970s.Later information indicates that the house operated 1968 to 1969 and was terminated when Benoit and Gregory Houses were ready in summer 1969.

return to ===> list of off campus parcels     opening page   

Leonidoff Home 80 South Hamilton Street

leonidoff home South HamiltonWhen Doctor Leonidoff died, he willed his house on South Hamilton Street to Marist College to support studies in the Russian Language. The house was later sold and proceeds added to a fund to further studies of Russian. This is simply enough text to match the thumbnail for the house at 60 south goes and goes and goes.

 

Fairview property donated by Leonidoff

Fairview parcel oneAlex Leonidoff donated a parcel in Fairview directly east of the George Bennett estate. Richard and Mary Foy considered the site as a president's house in 1971 but decided to purchase the house at 12 Dwight Street instead.

Edward Mack donated land near route 55

In 1972 Edward Mack donated his 1/4 ownership of a parcel in Unionvale along route 55 to Marist College (liber 1348 page 346). He (along with three others) had inherited the parcel from the deceased John E Mack in 1942 (liber 600 page 467). As far as I know, the college still owns its share of this parcel.

Talmadge Court Student Housing

tALMADGE COURT In the late 1960s or early 1970s Marist leased or rented apartments along Talmadge Street for student housing. This usage continues today (2011). The apartments were purchased in 1996 by Marist Real Property Services Inc from BMR Associates Inc, which entity purchased the parcel in 1987 from Antonio and Margaret Provenzano, who purchased the apartments from M Shepherd Jackson in 1985. Previous owners in descending chronological order were Samuel Siegel who purchased the apartments in 1972 from Ella M James & Emery Hey. The apartments border both Talmadge Street and Delafield Street.

Kings Court Motel - Cannon Street

Kings Court MotelMarist College recruited the first group of resident lay students for entry to the college in Fall 1959. Since there were no dormitory accommodations on campus, the College rented a block of rooms at the Kings Court Motel, on Cannon Street just east of Market Street. The most prestigious hotel in the city was the Nelson House along Market Street. The arrangement lasted only a semester, and the small group was transferred to campus to St. Mary's a small bungalow building adjacent to the former Bech house, once used as a novitiate then a juniorate and now only used for Brothers work crews during the summer. Use of St. Mary's was only for the Spring 1960 semester. Meanwhile temporary dormitory and cafeteria space was constructed in Donnelly Hall. Sheahan Hall, the first permanent dormitory opened in Fall 1962. Donnelly dormitory space continued in use until Fall 1965 when Champagnat Dormitory space became available.

Among the group of pioneer resident students who graduated in 1963 were: Ed DiSanto, Philip Dutremble, Edmund Heller, James Moloney, William Moran and Dennis Tierney

Canterbury Gardens Apartments

Cahterbury Garden ApartmentsFor several years in the 1960-1970 time period, the overflow of Marist College students was housed at the Canterbury Gardens Apartments, located along route 44, across the street from Adams Fairacre Farms. The arrangement was convenient because the complex had about twenty separate buildings; Marist could rent several for exclusive use by students. The arrangement was inconvenient because the apartments were located east of the City of Poughkeepsie, which required time lost in transportation to and from the main campus.

Canterbury unitAt one time the students occupied almost all the apartments in the complex. The units were rented, not purchased by Marist College. Several faculty members, including Edward Donohue, resided there and acted as residence advisers.

Residence Inn by Marriott - Route 9 near shopping plazas.

Residence Inn by MarriottIn the final decade of the 1900s and even to 2011, the college was oversubscribed for new resident students. This was the result of heightened popularity of on campus housing and the uncertainty as to how many students the college accepted would actually attend. The college made arrangements to rent blocks of rooms at the Residence Inn, located near IBM main building, just behind the plaza with Pier One.

12 Dwight Street

12 dwight streetThis parcel on a one block street between South Hamilton and Hooker Avenues the city of Poughkeepsie served as Richard and Mary Foy's house from 1972 until early 1980. The Foys purchased the parcel (1972 liber1336 page 372) but the college held the mortgage.

return to ===> list of off campus parcels       opening page     

Camp Sunset, Plattekill, Ulster County, NY

sunset chapelThis camp may have been owned and operated by the parish of Saint Agnes in New York City. It was one of many such camps established in the mid Hudson area to provide the opportunity for city children to enjoy the benefits of fresh air and exposure to non-urban surroundings. Similar camps were operated by the Wiltwyck School in Esopus and another camp on the Gordon property located just below the Brothers' property in Esopus.

sunset lake oneCamp Sunset was used by the student brothers of the College starting about 1949 until the mid fifties. I have not been able to locate any deeds relating to this camp. Perhaps the property was held by the Saint Agnes parish, but the Brothers invited to use the facilities after the parish decided that the improvements demanded by the civil authorities were too costly.

sunset workersThe college used the camp for recreational purposes well into the early 1960s. One coincidental link of the camp to the college and brothers is that Sunset Lake is the source of Black Creek, which meanders northward through the old Payne estate until it moves eastward just north of the Esopus property into the Hudson River.

lake twoThe camp was always referred to as the "college's camp" but I could find no deeds transferring ownership to the college or of transferring ownership from the college. By 1904 the buildings had deteriorated; many had been razed. By 2005 the area was used as a paint ball camp.

return to ===> list of off campus parcels or opening page

Dominican Camp, Hyde Park, NY

Dominican Camp was operated by the Dominican Fathers from Saint Vincent Ferrer parish in New York City. For several years after World War II brothers from the college and from the brothers' schools worked at the camp. It was located on property between route 9 and the Hudson River.

VISTA presence in Dover Plains, NY

During the late 1960s, student brothers set up residence in poverty districts along route 22 during the summer to assist the local population in various ways, including acting as spokespersons before civil authorities, securing medical treatment. The outpost also attempted to assist migrant workers who passed through on their annual movement from southern states to the northern USA border. Russell Myer was a student brother who participated in the activity. When he left the Brothers, he relocated permanently in the Dover Plains area.

VISTA presence in Hyde Park, NY

Ed Jennings, Marist class of 1969, contacted me in Fall 2013 to mention that he had worked in a VISTA program during June 1968 operated at Honeywell Lane, Hyde Park, a street leading into Creek Road.  Three Marist Brothers, Ed Jennings,  Dennis Breslin, Marist class of 1969, and Michael Nash, Marist Class of 1968 lived in a cottage on the farm of James Murphy who had several children of his own and several foster children living in his large farmhouse.  The Vista volunteers worked with neighborhood children on the Murphy farm itself, which also had a small lake.

Ulster County VISTA assistance for Migrant Workers

I remember hearing of the work of Brothers and Student Brothers for migrant workers in Ulster County.  The Vista volunteers resided on the Brothers' site in Esopus and communted to various locations in Ulster.

return to ===> list of off campus parcels     opening page      

Marist Hall, Cold Spring NY

dcold spring main houseMarist Hall was situated on the former estate of Clarence Fahnestock. It is located along route 301 between route 9 and the Taconic State Parkway. Fahnestock donated a large portion of his estate to New York State; in particular the area near the Taconic Parkway. The main buildings of the estate were purchased in the mid 1960s by the Marist Brothers. Brother Nilus Donnelly, construction manager for Marist College, took charge of renovating the original Fahnestock buildings and construction of a gymnasium and classroom building.

entry roadAt a later date, the secondary school called Marist Preparatory located in Esopus was legally transferred to Cold Spring, with the two student bodies consolidated.

windmillWhen the Brothers eventually phased out the Juniorate or preparatory high school system in the United States, the Cold Spring property became surplus and was sold. I believe it is now used by a group which practices oriental-origin methods in counseling and group therapy.

Marist East / Western Publishing Company building

Marist East at WesternSome time in the 1970s the college occupied parts of the empty Western Publishing Company building for use as classes and faculty offices. The asking price for the land and building was out of reach for the college, and it became a shopping center with Staples and Home Depot as anchor stores.

Fishkill Extension Center

westage locationMarist maintains an extension center at 400 Westage Center, Suite 105, near the route 84 intersection with route 9. The center offers graduate courses, undergraduate courses and special courses directed at persons who wish to develop their skill in the business or technology area.

Fishkill LobbyPreviously it operated the center at the Dutchess Mall,just below route 84, so it has been operating in Fishkill for about two decades.

Goshen Extension Center

Goshen Extension CenterThe Goshen Extension Center rented space at 40 Matthews Street, Goshen NY 10924 in Orange County on the west side of the Hudson River. The Center operated from July 1, 1993 until August 31, 2009, but closed due to declining enrollment.

Our Lady of Lourdes High School (former)

Lourdes Hish SchoolThe Archdiocese of New York established Our Lady of Lourdes High School in the 1950s in the old Poughkeepsie High School building facing North Hamilton Street. When Marist College instituted intercollegiate basketball, the gym on campus was too small for both spectators and competitors.

Lourdes GymMarist College arranged to play most of its home games in the gym at Our Lady of Lourdes High School. When the seating at that gym became inadequate, some games were played at the newer Poughkeepsie High School gym. This arrangement lasted until the opening of the McCann Athletic Center in 1976.

Our Lady of Lourdes Brothers Residences

OLL First residenceFor the first few years of operation of Our Lady of Lourdes, the faculty of the high school lived in a building on South Hamilton Street. Later separate houses were constructed for the sisters and the brothers who taught at the school.

Brothers residenceSeveral Marist College faculty members lived in the newer Brothers' residence, including Brother Cornelius Russell, comptroller and teacher in the business division, and Brother Tarcisius Vallieres, long time operator of the college printing shop. The newer residence was located at the corner of Thompson and North Clinton Street. Later the house saw use as a temporary shelter for battered women. As of August 2011 it remains Archdiocesan property but stands idle.

Saint Peter's School

St Peter's SchoolMonsignor Sheahan, the pastor of Saint Peter's parish in Poughkeepsie, was instrumental in attracting the Marist Brothers to relocate to Poughkeepsie. Soon after their arrival, he asked them to staff Saint Peter's high school located just off Delafield Street.

St Peter School front viewThe original St Peter's School has been converted to apartment housing. The Brothers assigned to teach at St. Peter's School resided on the Marist campus, in a building nicknamed Saint Peters that retains the name to this day. The building received wood frame additions to the east and west sides. These were removed in the 1980s to restore the building to its original condition as designed by Detlef Lineau.

Saint Peter's Church

former St Peters churchThe Marist campus was in the ecclesiastic territory of Saint Peter parish until Saint Peter's parish relocated in early 1960s to Hyde Park, with its building taken over by Mount Carmel Parish. Currently (2011) the Marist campus lies within Mount Carmel Parish.

The first large lay student dormitory at Marist College is named for Monsignor Sheahan, pastor of Saint Peters Church in recognition of his part in attracting the Brothers to Poughkeepsie. Monsignor Sheahan was also a leading citizen who urged the construction of the Mid-Hudson vehicle bridge in 1930.

medallion of St Peter ChurchSaint Peter's Church was the first Catholic church built within the city of Poughkeepsie. Many of the workers who built the railroad along the Hudson River were Irish immigrants. The church was built close to the river. When a later wave of immigrants came from Italy, a second church was built around the corner and named Mt Carmel. Since most of both immigrant groups were laborers, they lived near the industrial district along the Hudson River. By 1960 the distribution of churches changed; St Peter's relocated to Hyde Park, and shortly thereafter, Mt Carmel Church took over the former St. Peter's Church, but retained its school in the original Mt Carmel school building.

Lamorte MedallionFather Richard LaMorte, campus chaplain, served as Pastor of Mount Carmel Parish from 1988 to 1999. Previously he had been pastor of Saint XYZ parish in Amenia. He had served as Marist Campus chaplain from 1973 to 1979.

 

Holy Trinity Elementary School

Holy Trinity SchoolIn the late 1950s, Monsignor Gregg, pastor of Holy Trinity Parish in Arlington, Poughkeepsie NY asked the Brothers to staff the upper grades of the elementary school in the parish. The Brothers lived in a house along Spring Street. During the summers, visiting Marist Brother faculty members at Marist College often stayed at that house.

Cunneen-Hackett Arts Center

cunneen hackett from vassar stThe Cunneen-Hackett Arts Center is located on 9 and 12 Vassar Street in Poughkeepsie just off Main Street. The Center is housed in two, 130 year old National Historic Registry structures. These unique brick Victorian landmarks were built by Matthew Junior and John Guy Vassar in the 1880's.

cunneen hackett theaterIn 2011 the Cunneen Hackett Arts Center is home to a 200 seat theater, a 1200 square foot dance studio, two galleries, Victorian Parlor event space, artist studios and offices. The center offers year round classes, workshops, exhibits, dance, music and dramatic presentations.

medallion onemedallion twoMarist College rented space in the Cunneen buildings to conduct several college sponsored programs. In the 1970's, Richard Foy, then President of Marist, used an office in the building for uninterrupted research: no telephone, no computer, no campus emergencies.

 

return to ===> list of off campus parcels        opening page