shoreline oveerviewThe eighteenth and nineteenth century were periods of strong commercial and industrial activity along the riverfront in the Poughkeepsie vicinity. Almost all of the industrial activity has disappeared. It´s northernmost reach was above Hoffman Street, notably the Fallkill Iron Works and Poughkeepsie Iron Works operated by Edward Bech and the Myers Dock, immediately north of the iron works.see note 1

Hudson River Railroad

The development of the Hudson River Railroad in the Poughkeepsie area occurred in 1848 - 1852. see note 2 The tracks ran normally along shore, but at other places slightly inland, thus dividing lands of the landowners into two sections, one between the Highland turnpike and the railroad, the other between the Hudson River and the railroad tracks. The descriptions of the land acquired by the railroad give interesting details of the north/south length of the properties affected. see note 3

return to===>    opening page     top this page    directory

Poughkeepsie & Eastern RR

The path of the Poughkeepsie & Eastern Railroad Company started at Boston Corners and Millerton on the Connecticut border and ran across Dutchess County through Pleasant Valley, passing next to the Fallkill Creek where it borders St. Peter´s Cemetery, moving directly into the city of Poughkeepsie near Smith Street where it stored its trains and equipment.It could not move directly westward across the city to the Hudson River Railroad because the slope from the city center to the level of the Hudson River shore was too steep.  Instead it took an s-curve first northward into what would become the Hudson River State Hospital, then making a U-turn to move it south, eventually crossing the Highland Turnpike (now route 9) and sloping downwards to meet the Hudson River Railroad Company tracks just south of the present Marist College property, close to the location of the Poughkeepsie Iron Works.

There were extensive iron ore properties in Amenia and Millerton and Pine Plains.  John Winslow was well aware of this, as his Troy Iron Works had secured mining rights in that area and was able to transport the ore by rail to his foundry in Troy.  At the same time, Poughkeepsie Iron Works hauled its ore from Beekman and Fishkill Plains using oxen and plank roads. In addition there were several foundries in the east of Dutchess County which used wood for its furnaces. But the supply of wood was running out.

Although Winslow was not the originator of the idea of an east-west railroad in Dutchess County, he was a strong supporter and was President of the Poughkeepsie & Eastern during the construction and early operation of the railroad

Discussions about such an east west railroad had been held for two decades, with the main arguments to design an access route for railroad transportation from New England to the West.  The Connecticut and Western railroad already had reached Boston Corners in Columbia County.  The delay in organizing and building the P & E led to several competing railroads, such as the Dutchess and Columbia, the Dutchess and Rhinebeck.  Eventually the more favorable route was taken through Hopewell Junction and Danbury Ct.

The Poughkeepsie & Eastern failed during the panic of 1873.  However, it kept operating under different names, even reverting to its original name toward the end of the nineteenth century.  The last passenger service to Pleasant Valley from the east county ended in 1937. see note 4

The path of the Poughkeepsie & Eastern became an important freight route for Western Publishing Company and Shatz Federal Bearings and several smaller industries in the Fairview section.  As of 2013 its path abuts the McCann Baseball field on the Marist campus and runs through the east campus.  The College installed a footbridge over the track bed.  The County is negotiating with the CSX to take over this route as a walking trail. see note 5

return to===>    opening page     top this page    directory

Henry D Myers Dock

The Myers dock was never a part of the Marist College campus, but it is an excellent southern starting place to study the lands along the river.  Henry D Myers built an icehouse there, and operated an ice harvesting business for two decades.  The dock was sold to Arthur Dutton of Springfield MA who started a wholesale lumber yard which would at one time be the largest yard in the Northeast. see note 6

The Myers dock was important to Dutton because he imported much of the lumber.  When I was a student at Marist (1947-1950) we constantly saw ships docked there, many of them from Russia. see note 7 The wood was aged after unloading, which entailed spreading it out for several months.  This required more space than Dutton originally owned. On two occasions the lumber company purchased riverfront land from the Marist Brothers, first 150 x 100 feet in 1928, and then 600 more riverfront feet in 1929.  see note 8 This left the brothers a small section of about 180 feet immediately to the north of what had been sold. There was a small cove on this section, which Dutton filled in with blasting debris it created as it leveled the 750 feet purchased.  This small parcel became the location of the Martin Boathouse in 1963.see note 9

Water Treatment Plant

wateerworks main bildingAlthough the population of Poughkeepsie City reached 20,000 by 1870, the city had no central water supply suitable for household use. see note 10In 1855 an engineer recommended Morgan´s Pond (now called Vassar College Lake) as a reservoir, but the financial panic of 1857 and the Civil War prevented carrying out this plan.  By 1869 an act of the legislature authorized a committee which would have borrowing power (subject to a taxpayers´vote) to establish a water supply.  Then began a series of public meetings at which two of the principal speakers were Harvey G Eastman and Mayor Morgan.  Assemblyman Hegman indicated he did not believe there was a natural well in Poughkeepsie that was fit for use for family purposes.  Mr. Eastman said that in his visits to other localities to promote the virtues of Poughkeepsie he was met with the response that Poughkeepsie had fine schools and churches, but “Oh so sickley”  The taxpayers voted overwhelmingly to go ahead with planning and implementation of a water system.  About this time Mayor Morgan constructed Morgan Lake on College Hill, it is said for the purpose of selling it to the City as part of the water supply. see note 11

The committee sought the advice of James P Kirkwood of New York City, a well-known engineer and a specialist in the setting up water systems.  He recommended obtaining the water from the Hudson River, using sand filtration as the principal means of treating the water. The commissioners chose a site owned by Alanson and Sarah Swain from 1858 to 1874.  This was a southernmost section of the Barnard parcel.see note 12In 1872 the Swains sold additional land to the City of Poughkeepsie. see note 13  Two sand filters were installed, and remained in use at least until 1905.

The cost of the water works installation and piping to the city had reached $428,000 by the end of 1873.  The panic of 1873 was unforeseen beforehand, and placed heavy burdens on the City of Poughkeepsie. see note 14
In 1896 the plant was enlarged using more land from the Barnard parcel. see note 15 Again in 1907 the plant was expanded, this time taking land from the former Bech estate. see note 16

About 1970 the plant expanded again, taking more land from the Barnard lot, but abandoning the original filter beds that were located east of the railroad where the current water works road splits, one branch turning north toward the newer plant, the other turning south towards the Champagnat mid-rise dormitory near the rotunda. see note 17  When the city located a new sewage treatment plant at the southwest corner of the Myers parcel, the college negotiated a swap of land, taking possession of the unused portion of the water treatment facility extending from across the road from the new water treatment facility to land almost touching the foundations of the Champagnat dormitory additions.  The original empty filter beds were large enough to fit five regulation size tennis courts.  There was a building adjacent to the filter beds used for maintenance until the maintenance department moved across route nine.

return to===>    opening page     top this page    directory

eastman grave siteFor several decades prior to the Civil War, an informal group of leading citizens worked together on projects for the good of Poughkeepsie.  They received the name Improvement Group, proposing and investing on several projects, sometimes via government, sometimes via private enterprise, sometimes with a combination of public and private.  Their enthusiasm was not always matched with success; many of them sustained large financial losses in these ventures.  After the Civil War another group of leading citizens worked to improve the City. The water works project was one such project. Among this group, and probably the most enthusiastic example was Harvey Gridley Eastman.

Harvey G Eastman was born near Rochester NY a member of the Eastman Family.see note 18He began to teach in a business school run by his uncle in Rochester, and then decided to found his own school in Oswego NY.  In 1959 he moved the school to Saint Louis, where he made the mistake of hiring several abolitionist teachers in the slave state of Missouri.  In 1959 he moved his school to Poughkeepsie, enrolling one student in November 1859 but quickly growing to enroll over 1600 students by 1865.

One of his bright ideas was to have the school concentrate on preparation for business rather than the liberal arts. This was a variation of the concept of New York University of whom Samuel F B Morse was a founder. The course work was to emphasize the practical rather than the theoretical.  The course work might take from one to two years.  A second unusual idea was this: Eastman Business College owned no buildings!  The college rented five separate buildings for its library and classroom space.  There were no college dormitories.  Students were placed with families living in Poughkeepsie.

Among its distinguished alumni was Sebastian S Kresge, founder of Kresge variety stores (often called five-and-dimes) which has morphed into K-Mart, one of the largest discount institutions in the United States, especially since K-Mart acquired Sears store.  Another alumna was my first secretary at Marist College, Mary Travis.  She had retired from head stenographer position at Central Hudson, then worked for me part time for sixteen years.  The contrast between Kresge and Travis showed that Eastman Business School was a hands-on institution which covered the entire business spectrum.  Eastman Business School closed its doors in 1931.

Eastman was a promoter.  The Eastman College Band played at Lincoln´s second inauguration and after the assassination accompanied Lincoln´s body in the official train from Washington DC to Albany NY.  The band helped make the College known through its frequent trips to play in other cities.

Eastman also plugged for the construction of a bridge across the Hudson.  He was elected to the Assembly in 1873 and introduced a bill to authorize construction of such a bridge.  He presided over the laying of a cornerstone for the eastern tower on 17 December 1873.  However, the bridge was not opened for train traffic until 1 January 1889.

Another project for Harvey Eastman was the establishment of Eastman Park between Market Street and Jefferson Street which run north/south and Montgomery and Franklin Streets which run east and west.see note 19 Eastman envisioned a park similar to Washington Square in New York City. He developed a series of homes within a single building structure.see note 20  These were placed near the division between the lower one third and upper two thirds of the Park.  They faced north and onto a new street named Terrace Street.  He was supported in this venture by several leading citizens, including John Winslow, who purchased a large section of the lot including the houses. see note 21

The remainder of Eastman Park was a swampy area fed by several streams shown on nineteenth century maps.  At great expense Eastman developed drainage systems to convert the land into parkland. But he built in the capacity to create a pond in the center with a bandstand. The pond was very popular for ice skating in the winter months, and the band once more reminded citizens of the existence of Eastman Business College, perhaps encouraging some to offer housing to students coming from other parts of the country.

Harvey G Eastman developed congestion of the lungs.  He traveled to Denver CO in hopes of improving the congestion in the mile high city.  He died there, not yet 46 years old.  The obituary in the New York Times described him as possessing alert intellect, strong will power, and unimpeachable integrity. He left his wife Minnie Clark Eastman and two daughters, Cora, age 19 and Charlotte age 11.

return to===>    opening page     top this page    directory

Land for Cornell, California and Washington boathouses

boathouse rowJust north of the Marist Martin Boathouse there were four buildings used for the famed Poughkeepsie regatta. They were the Cornell boathouse, the California boathouse, the Washington boathouse, and a mess hall. These were named after the colleges and used by several other colleges also, but never owned by the colleges. They were constructed and owned by the City of Poughkeepsie on land taken originally for water works use from the Swain family who owned the lower section of the Barnard parcel. When the regatta moved away from Poughkeepsie around 1950, local high schools used the boathouses to store their shells. Other colleges built and owned or rented space along the river for their boathouses. Notable among these was Navy, whose original boathouse still stands at Quiet Cove north of the Marist College property, and Columbia whose boathouse was visible from the Marist dock across the river and north of Marist.

The mess hall and Washington boathouse had disappeared by the time I returned to Marist as President in 1958, and I understand the California boathouse experienced a fire in the early 1960s. see note 22 During the negotiations for creating Longview park, the College acquired all the land from below the Martin Boathouse to the tunnel leading under the tracks, save for the lot containing the pumping station (and probably allowing easement rights to the City of Poughkeepsie for repair and/or replacement of the pipes leading from the pumping station to the new water works facility east of the railroad tracks.


Expansion of railroad tracks 1913

Around 1913 the railroad decided to widen its track area to provide for four tracks rather than two. It hoped to increase the speed of the trains and carry more freight.  As part of its planning it hoped to eliminate several track crossings. see note 23 Besides widening its space along the lines, it negotiated an agreement with the Marist Brothers to diminish track level crossings.  Three different groups of Brothers-- juniors on the Barnard parcel and novices and scholastics on the Bech parcel-- had been using the Hudson River for swimming.  The railroad agreed to install a tunnel under the tracks, It is labeled 1912 and the only vehicular entry to Marist river property, except permissive use of entry from the former Dutton lumber property.  In addition the railroad built two pedestrian bridges over the tracks.  When I negotiated the purchase of the Myers parcel in 1963, the railroad representative asked permission to remove the two bridges.  The college agreed to eliminate the northern bridge as swimming activity had moved to the outdoor pool, but wanted to maintain the southern bridge which connected the Martin Boathouse to the area near Leo dormitory. This proved impractical since students avoided climbing the many steps to access and leave the bridge, preferring to cross the tracks themselves.  So that bridge was removed by common agreement between the college and the railroad. see note 24

return to===>    opening page     top this page    directory

A C Dutton Lumber Company

dutton lumberWhen one industry dies, others arise to take their place. The Poughkeepsie Iron Works and Fallkill Iron Works ceased business in 1913, unable to match newer competition from the Mesabi Range of ore deposits in Minnesota coupled with coal supply near Pittsburgh. Arthur C Dutton investigated the potential for a lumber yard on the docks of the iron companies, defunct whaling companies and Myers dock (whose ice harvesting industry was also declining). He assembled a large area from several sources that he intended to use as a wholesale distribution center for servicing lumber yards in the northeastern United States. see note 25

The area assembled included space for docking two oceangoing ships. The lumber company imported lumber, unloaded it on its docks, allowed it to age/cure by spreading it out in the fresh air for several months, and then shipping it to local lumber companies, usually by rail, as it had inherited and upgraded several spurs to the New York Central Railroad.

Dutton realized that it needed more room to spread out its aging/curing wood. It arranged two purchases of land from its northern neighbor, the Marist Brothers. see note 26 To level the shoreline required blasting. The rock debris was deposited in a small cove on the 180 x 150 lot north/south belonging to the Marist Brothers that was now sandwiched between Dutton land and land belonging to the City of Poughkeepsie used for hosting the Poughkeepsie regatta and the intake for the water works. The rock debris fill created a level spot for Marist College to locate its Martin Boathouse in 1973. The prices paid by Dutton for the two land acquisitions ($10,000 and $50,000) were used to enlarge the Bech carriage house by raising the roof about ten feet, and equipping the building as the key academic unit for the forerunner of Marian/Marist College,Marist Training School which had begun operation in 1929. The wooden Marian Building adjacent to Greystone was also upgraded for academic use. Dutton Lumber Company remained in full operation to the decade of the 1950, but its business began to decline as curing moved more and more to kilns operated at the points of origin of the lumber harvesting companies and the capacity for delivery by trucks direct to the local lumber yards increased. By the 1970s Dutton had ceased operation.

William Martin Boathouse 1963

martin boathouse When I became President of Marist College in November 1958, I realized that the athletic facilities, while adequate for a small number of student Brothers, would not be adequate for a college of 600 or more students. There was a tiny gymnasium, two small baseball or softball fields, an outdoor swimming pool, and four decrepit handball courts. How ought a small college to develop a sports program?

There was one obvious sports venue- the Hudson River, with a four mile racing course which had been used by the fabled Poughkeepsie Regatta. There was also a cadre of experienced oarsmen from the nearby high schools that had taken up rowing after the departure of the Poughkeepsie Regatta in 1949. The high schools used the existing California and Cornell boathouses, but space was limited. But enthusiasm ran high among the Marist students who had rowed in their high school years. The establishment of crew at Marist is an interesting testimonial to cooperation between many individuals.

First we needed a shell. Daniel Kirk, a professor of psychology, contacted his friend, Ed Brady, a New York City attorney with an office in Wall Street... Both had rowed along the Harlem River in their high school days. see note 27 Brady suggested there was a four person shell in the Harlem River boathouse which was in need of repair.

John Mylod, a student and an accomplished oarsman had rigged his auto to port shells. He enlisted Gary Smith, coxswain of a national championship Poughkeepsie High School shell, and James Callahan, a Poughkeepsie High School graduate to accompany him to New York to pick up the shell. see note 28

crew blogsWhat about a coach? Bill Lenehan '62 was a student who had rowed for Poughkeepsie High School.  He suggested I contact Joseph Catanzaro, an art teacher and successful crew coach at Poughkeepsie High. see note 29  Joe agreed to become the first Marist Crew coach. When he came to inspect the shell from the Hudson River, he told us that the shell could be repaired, but would never be competitive. So he managed to borrow an eight person shell from Poughkeepsie High School, and coaxed a place in one of the boathouses for storage. Soon Joe managed to receive a gift from Columbia University of an old shell, which the oarsmen named “Leaky Lizzie”. Despite its age, it looked impressive in the water, because Ken Knapp, another oarsman, and his father removed all the hardware, took it home during the winter, polished it to its pristine condition, then remounted it on the shell. see note 30

Bill Martin was an insurance agent in a local company. He was an early supporter of Marist College, and offered to run a campaign to fund a boathouse. He was successful in raising $60,000.  see note 31Paul Canin, who had designed the Leo Dormitory, designed the boathouse at a much reduced price. When the successful contractor began the actual construction, he alerted Brother Nilus that the structure would need bracing. Brother Nilus contacted Arbak A Abdalian, a New York City based structural engineer who had done the engineering specs for the Fontaine Building behind the Chapel and the Leo Dormitory. see note 32  Paul Canin had not used a structural engineer to keep costs down. Arbak designed the bracing, which holds to this day.

molloy sailingTo develop dock area in front of the new boathouse, Brother Nilus located large rocks, the result of blasting along Parker Avenue. The rocks were loaded on trucks and transported to the shore area. However, Brother Nilus´ existing crane was not powerful enough to lift and place the boulders. So he procured a second crane from the US Government surplus with much shorter reach but more powerful lifting capacity. He also purchased a surplus truck, and mounted the crane on the truck. The hybrid apparatus would not fit under the tunnel leading to the shore, Dutton Lumber provided access from its yard. The wooden float and access ramp were constructed by the Marist maintenance crew. The crane remained at the boathouse area to remove the float and ramp.

return to===>    opening page     top this page    directory

Longview Park activity

tunnell to longviewDuring the last decade of the twentieth century and the first decade of the twenty first century, Marist took leadership in transforming the shoreline into an attractive park facility open to the public. Marist took over ownership of the entire strip, except the location of the water intake unit for the Poughkeepsie Water Works, and combined its own resources with grants from foundations and several government agencies. The work was spearheaded by Susan Brown under the direction of President Murray. Upon completion of this project, Susan left Marist College to take a position with the Cary Arboretum in Millbrook NY. see note 33

return to===>    opening page     top this page    directory

 
Endnotes

Note 1.  Some vestiges of these long gone industries remain, usually transformed in imaginative ways, such as the transformation of a brick hotel operated by the Dutchess Whaling Company into legal offices.  The Dyson Foundation is taking a lead role to preserve and restore some of this history stretching from Main Street northward.

Note 2.  This chapter confines its focus to railroads which directly touched the future Marist College property.
      The term Highland turnpike was used in early deeds, and later became Hyde Park road.

Note 3. Representative deeds to the Hudson River Railroad for properties currently owned by Marist College are:
   Newbold parcel: not yet located
   Winslow parcel: deed 16 June 1849 liber 89 page 459 James and Elizabeth Van Schoonhoven to Hudson River Railroad Co parcels # 204 and 205 on railroad map filed with the county
   Barnard parcel: deed 5 March 1850 liber 93 page 191  Joseph C Johnson to Hudson River Railroad Co  1007 line feet
  Bech parcel: 20 Feb 1849 liber 88 page 415 Abraham Van Anden to Hudson River Railroad Co  328 line feet 
deed 23 Dec 1849 liber 88 page 237  Jahiel and Phebe Smith to Hudson River Railroad Co 369 line feet
   Myers parcel:  not yet located

Note 4  The Pleasant Valley station house was preserved and located on one of the school grounds in Pleasant Valley.  Arrangements are being made to relocate it to the Dutchess County Fairgrounds in Rhinebeck NY, which is developing a site for historic Dutchess County buildings. See Poughkeepsie Journal article by John Davis Old train stop may find new home November 26, 2009

Note 5.  For more details about the Poughkeepsie and Eastern RR, see Platt History of Poughkeepsie pp. 214 - 216

Note 6.  Deed 16 Sept 1913 liber381 page 501  John Townsend & wife to Arthur C Dutton.  Arthur Dutton made several other purchases after that time to increase the size of his holdings.

Note 7.  The dock was part of a deep water port which meant it could handle oceangoing vessels. It could accommodate two large vessels at one tim

Note 8. Sale details and prices are taken from the Annals of St. Ann´s  Hermitage 1904-1934 pages 65 and 68.  The relevant deeds list a nominal price of $100.  26 Feb 1929 liber 498 page 244 Marist Brothers to Dutton Lumber Company 0.552 acres and 22 July 1929 liber 498 page 249 Marist Brothers to Dutton Lumber Company 3.08 acres.

Note 9.  When Susan Brown worked on the development of the Longview Park-section, she discovered that the ownership of the Brothers was only to the high water mark of the Hudson marked on maps in an earlier time.  The fill provided by Dutton technically belonged to the State of New York.  This was rectified in the course of arrangements for Longview Park.

Note 10.  For a fuller explanation of the water and sewage development, see Platt History of Poughkeepsie  1904–1934  pp. 210214.

Note 11. Details taken from Edmund Platt, >History of Poughkeepsie  pp. 210 -212

Note 12.  The original taking of land from the Swains was in 1871 or 1872 via a Supreme Court Order in Book 10 page 93.  This has been cited in several subsequent deeds, especially 5 November 1874 liber 177 page 589 Alanson and Sarah Swain to Jane and John Robinson.  I requested the county records division to retrieve Book 10 from remote storage, but have not (as of 2 August 2012) been informed that the Book 10 has arrived.

Note 13.  See deed Alanson and Sarah Swain 26 April 1872 liber 164 page 482 Alanson and Sarah Swain to City of Poughkeepsie.  The deed specifies three parcels, two adjoining the Bech properly and one west of the Hudson River Railroad.

Note 14.  In addition to the water works, the city had embarked on sewer construction work costing $253,000 and improvement of the Fallkill Creek and removal of four of the ponds used to power the mills, as steam power was now more efficient than water power, and the ponds caused flooding.  The work cost $115,000.  To add more pressure on City finances, the City had subscribed to $600,000 for bonds to help in construction of the Poughkeepsie and Eastern railroad, which by 1873 had declared bankruptcy, so that recoup of the bonds was questionable. See Edmond Platt, History of Poughkeepsie, pp. 212-214. In fairness to the city planners, recall between 1868 and 1873 over 33,000 miles of railroad track had been built in the United States, of which the Poughkeepsie & Eastern was only 40 miles.  This over construction of railroads, coupled with the falling price of silver when Germany stopped minting silver coins triggered problems not only in the United States but through Europe, leading to runs on banks.

Note 15.  See deed 1 October 1892 liber 287 page 486 Cordelia Yvelin executrix of estate of Gardiner Yvelin to the City of Poughkeepsie.  This parcel extended 300+ feet east from the railroad tracks, then formed a second rectangle moving southward 251 x 57 feet alongside the existing water works property. The net result  was like an inverted letter L tucked against the water works property east of the railroad.

Note 16.  See deed 10 October 1907 liber 355 page 437  Nicolaus and Gertrud Jungeblut to City of Poughkeepsie. Elizabeth´s granddaughter Pauline transferred the ownership to the Jungebluts, probably to make sale of the property simpler as the principals would all be based in the United States. The deed cites two lots, the first between the Hudson River and the tracks of the Hudson River Railroad 267 feet wide by 349 feet north-south amounting to 2.652 acres, the second east of the tracks 320 feet wide and 220 feet north-to-south containing 2.348 acres. Sale price was $4,000.

Note 17.  See deeds 19 November 1974 liber 1397 page 585 Marist College to the City of Poughkeepsie which ceded a lot 153´ x 303´ next to the new water treatment plant; and 4 December 1974 liber 1397 page 587 which acquired the original filter beds, forming a large concrete basin.  The beds were converted into five tennis courts used until the construction of the Mid-rise dormitory adjacent to the Rotunda.

Note 18.  Harvey was a cousin of George Eastman, who founded Eastman Kodak Company.

Note 19.  Principal deed was 7 May 1863 liber 131 page 265 Jennettte Jewett (widow) to Harvey Eastman. This lot encompassed all the land along Market Street and all the land along Franklin Street, forming a reverse letter L.  Several other deeds completed the entire rectangle bounded by Montgomery, Jefferson, and Franklin and Market streets.

Note 20.  The model for this was the Row houses in northeast corner of Washington Square built on part of the 21 acre Minto farm deeded to Sailors´ Snug Harbor by Robert Richard Randall to be used to establish a home for aged or debilitated sailors. The Snug Harbor association decided to build a unified series of homes for sale or rent, retaining ownership of the land and use the proceeds to establish and maintain a permanent home for retired sailors in Staten Island.  The Row is a unified group in Greek Revival style.  The sailors´ home on Staten Island is also Greek Revival.  Emily Kies Folpe, It Happened on Washington Square, Johns Hopkins University Press, © 2002  352pp.  see pages 73-77.

Note 21.  See deed 23 Nov 1874 liber 178 page 52 George Innis & George P Pelton to John F Winslow.  For $18,604 Winslow purchased the eastern rectangle bordered by Terrace Street, Market Street, and Franklin Street measuring 241´ north to south and 336´ west of Market Street.  This was a section of the land sold to Innis and Pelton by Eastman 1 April 1874 liber 176 page 262 Harvey G Eastman & wife to George Innis & George P Pelton.

Note 22.  Aerial photos taken from the top floor of Leo Dormitory show the California and Cornell boathouses still standing after completion of the Leo Dormitory in 1963.

Note 23.  See deed 18 December 1912 liber 377 page 355  Marist Brothers to New York Central Railroad.

Note 24.  The bridge requirement led to a conclusion that students would prefer not to have to climb many steps to access an overhead bridge.  The sloping topography on the west side of route nine would have provided too many steps to reach the ground or access the road closing level west side.  New York State changed its proposal to a tunnel under route nine, and it seems to have worked satisfactorily

Note 25. See deeds 11 September 1913 liber 381 page 501  John Townsend and wife to Arthur C Dutton
11 September 1913 liber 381 page 499 John Sague and Sam Robinson to Arthur C Dutton
11 August 1919 liber 407 page 37  Robert and Cornelius Wilkinson to A C Dutton Lumber Company
7 November 1921 liber 419 page 336  Church of Saint Peter to A C Dutton Lumber Company

Note 26.  Deed 20 February 1929 liber 498 page 244 Marist Brothers to A C Dutton Lumber Company for 0.533 acres which amounted to 150 feet north-to-south along the Hudson shore.
Deed 22 July 1929 liber 498 page 249  Marist Brothers to A C Dutton Lumber Company for 3.08 acres which amounted to 600 feet north/south along the Hudson shore.

Note 27.  Ed Brady also handled the mortgages with the Housing and Home Finance Authority for the Sheahan and Leo Dormitories

Note 28.  John Mylod has careered as a champion of the Hudson River, supporting and operating many causes to improve the appearance and water quality of the Hudson.  James Callahan, Marist Class of 1962, received his PhD in Mathematics from the Courant Institute at New York University, and taught at Harvard and later Smith College.  Gary Smith, class of 1963,became an accomplished salesman for IBM, and served as a Trustee of Marist College for many years.

Note 29.  Before I met Joe Catanzaro, I wondered how an art teacher wound up coaching a championship sport.  When I met him I thought he might have been an extra for the film the Godfather.  I was mistaken.  He was a gentle soul but passionate about teaching his crews to row in coordination.  Anyone watching crews race or practice could recognize a Catanzaro crew by its smooth impact on the water.  When other crews raised their stroke rhythm to 40 per minute, Joe kept his crews below 35, insisting that coordination was more important then power.

Note 30.  In Fall 1960 the organizers put out a call to the lay students for volunteers who wished to learn to row.  They practiced on rowing machines located in the former Saint Marys Dormitory near the former Bech residence:, The newcomers did not get into a shell until late Spring 1961.. Marist College had no means to transport shells, so it arranged to borrow a shell from competitors when it raced away. Anthony Campilii ´62, former VP for Business at Marist was a member of the first crew. He was a commuter from Wappinger Falls, transferring in from Dutchess Community College. He remembers the names of most of his fellow crew members:
Ken Knapp ´64 stroke; Tony Campilii ´62 #7; Edmund DiSanto ´63 #6; Tony Rotolo´63  #5; James Callahan ´62  #4 ; Walter J Herbst ´63;  #3; Thomas F Erts ´81  #2; John Doss ´64 bow;  Gary Smith ´63, coxswain.

Note 31.  The college began to fund purchase of new shells. The best known shells were from Pocock in Seattle WA, but there was a waiting list of three years.  An alternate was the Garafolo shell from Worchester MA.  Catanzaro preferred the Garafolo shells because they could better weather the rough waters of the Hudson.

Note 32  Abdalian was introduced to the college in an unusual way.  The architect for the Fontaine Building was suffering from brain tumor which his wife did not disclose. When Brother Nilus suspected there was something wrong with the plans, he donned his clerical suit, took the train to New York City and picked the first structural engineer listed in the Yellow pages: A. A Abdalian.  Arbak shook hands with Nilus and was stunned to feel calluses on the hand of a clergyman!  He reviewed and modified the plans for the plans for the Fontaine Building.  In New York City his specialty was flat plate construction, and he used this type of framework for the Leo and Champagnat Dormitories.

Note 33.  There is an adage The devil is in the details!  In the course of her seeking support and permissions from a myriad of foundations and government agencies, Susan Brown was alerted to a glitch in former activities.  When the Martin Boathouse was built in 1973, the college officials relied on an incorrect understanding of riparian rights. The interpretation assumed that the fill provided by Dutton Lumber Company to close the cove on Marist Brothers shoreline belonged to Marist College. The riparian rights gave the college ownership only to the high water mark on maps of the Hudson prior to the fill operation.  So technically the boathouse lay on New York State land!  This misunderstanding was corrected by agreements between the State of New York and Marist College.