Payne chapel 1944

The Great Hall of the Payne Mansion was converted into a chapel by the Brothers when they came in 1942. During 1942-1943, the windows facing the Hudson River were plain glass, but stained glass windows were installed wither in summer of 1943 or summer of 1944. The space behind the collonade at the north end was taken up by the organ. The space behind the colonade at the south end was occupied by the altar. The marble fireplace at the south end had been removed and stored in an upstairs room. The two doors leading to the southeast sun room were covered by drapes behind some statues. The kneelers were in use while the chapel was used by the Brothers and Juniors until about 1955 when the new chapel in the northern buildings was placed in service. The kneelers were replaced by conventional seating.